Student Co‑op Homes is the UK federation of student housing co‑ops
We raised over £300,000 through our first community share offer, allowing us to start buying properties and help create a thriving student housing co-op movement. A huge THANK YOU to over 160 supporters who invested in us! Supporting Student Co-op Homes helps us to:
- Take more houses out of the speculative private market
- Scale-up ethical and permanently affordable student-led housing
- Skill-up and empower young people
- Embed the next generations in co-operative culture
- Build a strong and sustainable co-operative economy
Housing co-ops: an innovative model that puts students in control
The student housing market is failing to provide decent and affordable homes. Rents are rising and students’ wellbeing suffers as conditions decline. Students are taking control and starting housing co-ops to:
- Improve their well-being, rents and living conditions
- Live in affordable homes that they manage and control
- Gain a wide range of valuable life skills and experience
- Learn about co-operative values, culture and practices
With several student housing co-ops already successfully operating in the UK, we know it’s a model that works!
Student Co-op Homes Acquires Birmingham Property
Student Co-op Homes is proud to announce that it has acquired the home of Birmingham Student Housing Co-operative (BSHC).
House hunting begins in Glasgow and Manchester
Both Manchester Student Housing Co-operative (MASH) and Glasgow Student Housing Co-operative (GSHC) are currently engaged in a search for a new home for their co-ops!
International Collaboration Updates
Pan-European Association: SCH continues collaboration with Studentendorf (Germany), La Cigue (Switzerland), and Urbamonde (Switzerland & France) with support from Co-op Housing International to develop a Pan-European Association of Student Housing Co-ops…
SCH partnership with NUS Charity
SCH has been engaging NUS Charity – the Charity division of National Union of Students UK – since Summer 2023.